|The Polo Historical Soceity currently owns five historic structures: two houses and a law office in Polo, a country school house south of town, and a lime kiln west of town.|
123 N. Franklin Ave.
|Zenas Aplington, founder of Polo, was a blacksmith, carpenter, surveyor, railroad contractor, merchant, legistlator, farmer, and soldier in the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln was a guest who spent two nights in this home in 1856 during a rally for John C. Fremont in Oregon, Illinois. Aplington House is now the primary location for Polo artifacts, exhibits, and pictures of the early history of prominent citizens, churches, schools and businesses.|
|Burns House, 1854
201 N. Franklin Ave.
|The Burns House, the first brick home in Polo, was built by Dr. W. W. Burns. He was the first to establish a medical practice in Polo. He served as mayor, member of the school board and town council. Polo's first school house was built under his leadership.|
Law Office, 1875
111 N. Franklin Ave.
|The Campbell Law Office building was constructed from blue limestone hauled by wagon from the quarry west of Polo. Judge Campbell was the first village president, drew up the charter for the city of Polo, first mayor, established the Polo Press, and practiced law in the courts of Northern Illinois for over fifty years.|
|Henry School, 1878
Route 26, south of Polo
|The 1878 Henry School is located on the Galena Trail which Abraham Lincoln walked during the Black Hawk War in 1832. This country school has displays related to the Black Hawk War, the World War II Hemp Mill, and Galena Trail Tales and School Days in Ogle county.|
|Lime Kiln, 1870
Galena Trail Rd.
|The lime kiln burned rock from the adjacent quarry to produce lime mortar an indispensable building ingredient for early pioneers. This kiln was in operation until early 1900s when cement was invented.|
Last Updated 04/03/08